Author Topic: What are you eating / What did you eat.  (Read 62224 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: What are you eating / What did you eat.
« Reply #315 on: January 24, 2022, 02:43:33 AM »
I'm not so sure it's compressed bean paste.  There's all kinds of other stuff, including regular plants in there.  It's in a plastic casing, like saran wrap.  They have to tell you not to eat that part.  Because some people probably would if not told otherwise.  No.  Haven't had a blooming onion, either, but have made delicious onion quiches before using Julia Child's recipe.  Onions get very sweet the more they are cooked.
https://fieldroast.com/product/italian-sausage/

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #316 on: January 24, 2022, 04:05:14 AM »
This is a stupid fix, but I found out adding 1/2 tablespoon tabasco to easy mac before adding the cheese powder dulls the artificial flavoring and isn't too overwhelmingly spicy.

Not a fennel seed fan here. Honestly any type of seed mixed in with food is an unpleasant surprise.

Just did a web search, I'd never seen an actual fennel before. Looks neat.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #317 on: January 24, 2022, 04:12:29 AM »
I got some vegan sausages that were on sale.  I'm working up the courage to try them.

This is an interesting read.

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #318 on: January 24, 2022, 09:48:06 AM »
Thanks, smokes.  Yes.  Anyone who bothers to read the nutritional information on the back of these products can see that many of them leave a good deal to be desired.  I haven't had an Impossible Burger, but didn't realize it was also soy based.  My preferred alternative burger is the Beyond Meat Burger, which is delicious, but very high in calories (well 230 per burger) and has 5 g of saturated fat, main ingredient is a form of pea protein https://www.beyondmeat.com/en-US/products/the-beyond-burger.  This is less than half of that in a Big Mac (11g), but I never eat hamburgers anyway.  We eat them for lunch occasionally.  The Boca burgers and Quorn are also good.  Most of them use some kind of bean for protein, while the Quorn is based on some kind of fungus (mycoprotein).  The latter makes me think of what kind of diet I'd be eating on an asteroid colony.  It's not bad but I don't think I'd want it all the time.

Gardein makes some good alternative dishes like Mandarin Chick'n, good with vegetables and rice; and to my amazement, Crabless Crab Cakes; some of them  -- fishless fish sticks and chick'n tenders, are based on meat versions that are not healthy for you in the first place, so we eat them sparingly.

I rarely eat these prepared foods, and usually run the other way when I see Vegan in the name (particularly fake cheese).  I eat mostly plants, but also eat most dairy and for flesh, I eat seafood and poultry.  We like a range of vegetarian burger substitutes.  This fake sausage is not something I'd normally buy, but I was tempted by a variety of marketing discounts.  They look really fake, from the saran wrap covering that keeps them in their extruded tubular shape to the various ingredients.

I was wondering if these brands are also marketed in the UK?  If not, what do you eat there?  There is a long established culture of vegetarianism there so I am curious.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 09:53:58 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #319 on: January 24, 2022, 09:51:03 AM »
Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away I regularly ate blooming onions in RaceRock in Orlando: along with gallons of Gin & Tonic. Those were the days.

Isn't blooming onion a fancy alternative to onion rings?  G&T is something you need to consume regularly to deal with being in Florida.  I'm sure it helps dilute the grease in the onions -- an additional benefit.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #320 on: January 24, 2022, 03:01:31 PM »
I was wondering if these brands are also marketed in the UK?  If not, what do you eat there?  There is a long established culture of vegetarianism there so I am curious.

The Linda McCartney range mostly. They are always on a deal somewhere and really quite good regardless of being a vegetarian option.  The Mozzarella Burgers are the nuts!

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #321 on: January 24, 2022, 03:51:41 PM »
I've had the Blooming Onion from Outback a few times. It's sort of difficult to handle as you have to tear off each "sprout" and it tends to make the crisp bits fall off. It's also fairly greasy. As christ says, it lingers on the table. My experience, once it gets cold, it's not worth eating.
--dweez

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #322 on: January 25, 2022, 12:08:45 AM »
I've had the Blooming Onion from Outback a few times. It's sort of difficult to handle as you have to tear off each "sprout" and it tends to make the crisp bits fall off. It's also fairly greasy. As christ says, it lingers on the table. My experience, once it gets cold, it's not worth eating.

That sounds like what I'd expect.  Outback is a steak house but it's like an Australian sounding chain.  So "Bloomin' Onion" is some sort of Aussie slang, no?  I checked Australian outback on Wikipedia and it vaguely reminded me of Nevada.  Nevada is beautiful but very sparsely populated.  It's a great place to drive through, such gorgeous scenery.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #323 on: January 25, 2022, 04:59:14 PM »
I had read at one point they were actually thought up in New Jersey, and the Aussie bits were about as legit as fosters.

Wikipedia says Florida.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #324 on: January 25, 2022, 09:50:44 PM »
I had read at one point they were actually thought up in New Jersey, and the Aussie bits were about as legit as fosters.

Wikipedia says Florida.

Thanks.  It kind of sounds like something they'd have thought up in Florida.  I have no idea what Australian cuisine is like, if there even is one, but I suspect there has to be:  grilled budgerigar or Kangaroo steaks?  Maybe salt water crocodile taffy?

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #325 on: January 26, 2022, 08:07:35 AM »
I've only ever eaten them in Florida.

The English view of Australian cuisine is "put another shrimp on the barbie" and cold lager.

I always laughed at the aussie recipe for cooking galah:

build a fire
put a rock on it
put the galah on the rock
when the rock melts the galah is cooked.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #326 on: January 26, 2022, 10:15:01 AM »
I read somewhere that "budgerigar" is an aboriginal word meaning "good to eat."  Here's a video of a woman describing her galah.  I recommend that you watch with the sound off as it has a nauseating soundtrack.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #327 on: January 26, 2022, 02:13:30 PM »
Do like the dodo vids

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #328 on: January 26, 2022, 10:09:38 PM »
French fries with cheese.

Wasn't bad. Ukuleles and whistling should be banned from online videos AND advertising. Leave it in the 2010's/

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #329 on: January 26, 2022, 11:33:58 PM »
very Popular in UK
Chips and cheese