Author Topic: What are you eating / What did you eat.  (Read 64861 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: What are you eating / What did you eat.
« Reply #495 on: January 28, 2023, 05:17:08 AM »
Mom attempted to steam chicken.
I don't want to talk about it.

We had hot dogs for dinner.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #496 on: January 28, 2023, 07:15:14 AM »

Ikea use to sell steamed chicken.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #497 on: January 29, 2023, 04:24:59 AM »

We had hot dogs for dinner.

Steamed chicken = rubber chicken.
I've had delicious steamed fish using a Cantonese recipe, but I think that some meats don't really lend themselves to that kind of preparation.  Hotdogs are probably a good fallback after such a failure.

We had blackened salmon, baked potato, and a Green Giant spinach that you microwave in a plastic pouch for dinner.  The fish and potatoes were fine.  The latter was not worth it -- the spinach had become a fibrous soggy mess.  I think we have spoiled ourselves by mostly cooking fresh spinach with olive oil and a little garlic & some red pepper flakes.  It doesn't take very long to wilt it over high heat and it's delicious.  So no more green giant spinach for us.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #498 on: February 02, 2023, 09:39:07 PM »
Tried to rescue a pizza mom abandoned. Looked like the evil dead necronomicon.

Didn't spread flour before rolling.

I overdid it with the flour to try and recover the dough.

It ended up tasting like raw flour. I bent it up. I'm the donut. Gordon Ramsey snatched my Jacket. It's cold. :(

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #499 on: February 03, 2023, 09:58:59 AM »
I try to roll dough on wax paper or parchment paper.  It requires less flour.  Sorry it turned out a mess.
My maiden attempt at foccacia sucked so hard that it had to go directly into the compost bin.  It was inedible.  Thanks, Jamie Oliver!

This morning's breakfast consisted of sliced Panettone that I got half price after Xmas from a drug store chain.  It's tasty but I put it in the toaster and it caused it to turn into a brick of carbon that filled the kitchen with acrid smoke.  That is also going into the green bin.  Our ants are especially well fed and they like to reside there because of the continuous supplements of treats that we keep throwing in there.

Anyway, we sliced more and put it in the oven, which resulted in a more predictable warm toasted slice that wasn't burned.  I washed it down with the usual Earl Grey tea..

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #500 on: February 03, 2023, 09:49:17 PM »
  Thanks, Jamie Oliver!
I much prefer The Hairy Bikers.

This morning's breakfast consisted of sliced Panettone that I got half price after Xmas from a drug store chain.  It's tasty but I put it in the toaster and it caused it to turn into a brick of carbon that filled the kitchen with acrid smoke. 
;D ;D not just me burning things in the Kitchen

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #501 on: February 12, 2023, 11:46:19 AM »
I feel really stupid. I was explaining my bean flinging technique for nachos, and mom wasn't getting it.

So I pulled up a video. The cook in the video mixed the beans and meat together.

I could have saved so much time if I had done that.

Instead, I always put down the bottom layer of chips, fling beans at the chips with the edge of a spoon, then spoon the meat over, then the olives, cheese, and sour cream

then the hot sauce.

The amount of time I wasted... golly

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #502 on: February 13, 2023, 12:06:50 AM »
I made turkey chili for the Super Bowl.  I threw a few corn chips on top and ate it with a spoon.

It took more labor to make than a pot of vegetable soup.  That's why I don't make it often.  I do hear it freezes well.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #503 on: February 13, 2023, 12:28:21 AM »
Nachos. Microwaved 'em.

Normally we have the annual screaming match about nachos, but I decided to preempt it by just making them in the microwave and not letting anyone else have input.

Super Bowl Nachos are pretty much the only tradition we hold to. Started back in 2001. We used to just buy them, but fast food is stupid expensive now.

Forgot to buy chopped jalapeño, but I have a jalapeño sauce pretty much all the time, so I hit the meat and beans with it.

I suppose what I make would technically be "super nachos" but it's nothing grand. Just a plate of burrito mixings on chips.

I think it's sad that such an exciting game was essentially decided by a penalty. I've shut off prior games when things get into what I call a "Ref game".

I'm honestly surprised no one has ever attacked a referee, but I'm more surprised it hasn't happened in baseball. Yelling, yes. But no one ever hauls off and punches one in the mouth.

The "bounty" game... you know what, I think this is more sports criticism than food so I'll just stop there.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #504 on: February 13, 2023, 09:17:14 AM »
We were also disappointed in the outcome.  But I was impressed that all those players from opposing teams were hugging one another at the end.

Earl Grey tea and soon... cream scones that I made after the game last night for today's breakfast.  With various citrus marmalades.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #505 on: February 23, 2023, 11:00:21 PM »
Red Beef Enchiladas instead of Green.

I was put off of red for quite a while because of the old el paso sauce and how gross it was, but the red mild Las Palmas sauce was fantastic. The one substitute I made to the recipe was using white Jack cheese instead of cream cheese. I don't really care for cream cheese, and the Jack had a nice bite.

I think part of what I liked about it was the complete absence of green pepper in the sauce. I also like that the Las Palmas sauce is incredibly simple, I believe there were six ingredients total.

Mom was worried that mild would be boring, but they came out great.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #506 on: February 24, 2023, 12:14:07 AM »
Glad it worked out for you.
It's been uncommonly cold up here so I made turkey chili tonight.  The turkey was on sale and it seemed a good fit for a cold night and it turned out well.  It makes a bunch and freezes well so we don't have to eat it forever.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #507 on: February 26, 2023, 05:33:25 PM »
Hey 8ully, is it snowing down south?  We are having annoying rain.  It's been cold and damp for over a week and we are all tired of it.  At least we are doing away with the drought for now.

I made scones this morning.  That was fun.  We are having pasta for dinner with a tomato thyme sauce that comes from a recipe from Mario Batali created before his fall from grace.  Apparently he has trouble keeping his hands to himself.  A pity since it's a good recipe.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #508 on: February 27, 2023, 12:39:20 AM »
It hasn't hailed here, but it has in the area. The tall areas get snow, but it's still Southern California.

Finished off the enchiladas tonight, last night had hot dogs, but didn't really do anything new.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #509 on: March 02, 2023, 06:51:02 PM »
It got up to a balmy 50 degrees today and it was a relief to see the sun again.  I'm making a big pot of vegetable soup.