Author Topic: What are you eating / What did you eat.  (Read 64622 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: What are you eating / What did you eat.
« Reply #645 on: January 06, 2024, 02:03:51 AM »
The shadow of the andouille nightmare looms large.

Mom had lentil soup, I had leftover mac and cheese. Also featuring argument about butter chicken.

No need to rehash it, but I'm fairly sure mom thinks butter chicken is a steamed chicken breast with butter as a sauce.

Needless to say this is not at all accurate.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #646 on: January 09, 2024, 01:34:52 PM »
Butter sauce never sounds good to me.  My mother constantly put entire packages of butter into food when I was still in the home, I never quite recovered. 
That said, I think I would try butter flavored or butter cooked chicken, of the sorts. 

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #647 on: January 13, 2024, 08:02:00 AM »
Trader Joes has really good frozen butter chicken.  We tried to make it once but it wasn't as good.

For breakfast I had the last of the  french pastries we brought home with us.  They had Galettes du Roi (king's cake) which is a puff pastry with frangipane filling.  Really nice.  Only available during the holidays.  Back in the U.S. I'm having weak tea because I packed my large tea ball and god only knows which suitcase it's in.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #648 on: January 14, 2024, 09:26:14 AM »
Still going coast to coast and different countries Six?  I quite forget where you go abroad.  Always remember you in California and born in my stomping grounds, possibly Illinois (maybe Wisconsin).
I’ve fried chicken tender chunks in olive oil. It’s good on it’s own with veggies and then I use the leftovers for chicken bean burritos. 

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #649 on: January 14, 2024, 11:14:10 AM »
That sounds delicious, Bea, and it's time for lunch.  I am from the East Coast but spent time in the midwest, part of time for college and some for work.  In Cali for several years, but I was in the Caribbean for a couple weeks recently since my husband's family lived there.

I made scones for breakfast but that was about 4 hours ago.  Trying to wait until local lunch time but my stomach keeps saying "FEED ME!" -- still I try to resist.  I may just go to the grocery store and get something.  We don't have lots of food in the fridge, aside from some carrots and a chunk of cheese.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #650 on: January 14, 2024, 03:11:56 PM »
I just had the most delicious tiny mandarin orange.  Talk about a party in your mouth.  So often you go to the store and they are dry and flavorless.  Well not this one!

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #651 on: January 20, 2024, 09:04:04 AM »
Tea and scones with some nice marmalade.  The flavor lingers on the tongue and that's really pleasant.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #652 on: January 21, 2024, 03:14:44 AM »
Crumpets + butter and  ringtons coffee

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #653 on: January 22, 2024, 12:10:17 AM »
I substituted turkey in a recipe, and after mixing things up in a bowl, saw that the author specifically said not to use turkey.

Meal turned out fine, it's essentially meatloaf in a muffin tin, which helps everything cook evenly, the oven doesn't have to heat a solid mass.

The recipe turned out fine, not sure why the author was set against turkey.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #654 on: January 23, 2024, 09:19:00 AM »
Finished off a buttermilk coffee cake with cherries.  An experiment.  It was tasty.  The original recipe calls for frozen raspberries.  It's a good way to use up fruit, but I prefer scones.  Buttermilk is magical as a baking ingredient.  I don't know if it's sold in the UK.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #655 on: January 23, 2024, 03:36:48 PM »
Turkey puck leftovers for lunch, still not sure why the author of the cookbook warned against turkey, reheated it's nearly indistinguishable from its beef counterpart.
I'm sure unseasoned would be a different story.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #656 on: January 23, 2024, 06:17:13 PM »
I used to get ground turkey on sale and make up a batch of turkey burgers.  I'd use biscuit cutters to shape them and separate them with parchment paper.  They freeze well so you can just pull out a couple and fry them on medium heat for 10 min. when you feel like having one.

There's probably a couple buried under stuff in my freezer.

We are probably going to have Sukhi's Indian food with rice for dinner.  Fresh spinach sauteed with some garlic in olive oil on the side.  Sukhi's is expensive but sometimes it goes on sale.  Pretty good for mass produced Indian entrees.  Trader Joes has good frozen Indian food but I think we have eaten it all.  My freezer is good at hiding stuff.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #657 on: January 28, 2024, 03:04:15 AM »
Made a box cake, it sucked. Lesson for the wise, don't get cute with icing. I bought red vanilla icing to try something new and it tasted like a mix between a crayon and "when was your last dental appointment?"

Scraped that nonsense off and the cake wasn't too bad with some butter, but I'll probably be off cake for a while.

Also recently had a disappointing bag of chips.

On a more pleasant side, I made red el pato enchiladas and they came out amasing. Mild and just the right kind of sweet and savory, without being overly spicy. And there were plenty of leftovers. I think I've found my preferred red enchilada sauce. (Old El Paso owes me an apology)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #658 on: January 28, 2024, 09:16:44 AM »
tea and scones.
A nice predictable breakfast.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #659 on: January 30, 2024, 01:00:50 AM »
Welsh rabbit. Got lazy, just broiled and sliced rather than making the sauce. Still pretty good.