Author Topic: What are you eating / What did you eat.  (Read 114868 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: What are you eating / What did you eat.
« Reply #720 on: June 11, 2024, 04:28:50 AM »
I don't recall the last time I came up to the smoke.

... and even then it was on the train, because I had to do something that I was being paid for. I'm not good in big cities, I get all nervous and lost. Maybe I could order a take-out - will you do deliveries?

I'm pretty sure I saw the unicorn quite close to the suburbs. Perhaps it was a different unicorn.

Thanks, but that is SWMBO's territory - I don't think I dare touch her cooker - I am only allowed into the kitchen on sufferance!

You're such a bloke.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #721 on: June 11, 2024, 11:08:36 AM »
The unicorn has been into the ULEZ once, to go to Heathrow.

You see: virtually Twickenham.

When I was younger, that wasn't an insult.

Consider it a compliment.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #722 on: June 12, 2024, 05:13:19 PM »
It's great to have a rotisserie chicken in the fridge in the summer so if you are hot and tired, you can just slice off a bit and gnaw on that for a while.  We are having pasta tonight and that's not so labor intensive.  It's threatening to get hot outside in the next few days.  Nothing like 90 degrees to make you want to lie in front of a fan with a nice iced drink.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #723 on: June 16, 2024, 12:11:46 PM »

I went to a place, a small shack on the river yesterday, and we had seafood.  A fish sandwich and some fried shrimp.  We watched the local boaters zipping around on the water as we sat on picnic benches enjoying our lunch.  It was really pleasant.  There was a nice breeze and the temperature was perfect.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #724 on: July 05, 2024, 01:09:16 PM »
I've not been up to much of anything cookingwise, mostly cold cut sandwiches. I have developed an appreciation for Dijon. The brand I can get is called Maille. It's not much like Grey Poupon, I'd say it's closer to a coarse ground mustard, but ground down until it's fine. It's interesting to have that flavor in a smooth mustard, I'm anticipating the seeds and they aren't there.

Made milkshakes last night, they were overly rich and led to stomach aches. Lighter eating has apparently made the stomach sensitive.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #725 on: July 05, 2024, 03:51:52 PM »
I just had a slice of fine NY style pizza and some seltzer.  A perfect summer lunch and not too expensive.  Cheese and mushroom with bits of fresh parsley and a nice yeasted tender crust.  Somebody should write a poem about the mid afternoon pizza lunch.

These slices seem best when you finally get to rest long after regular lunch time because you've been running too many errands and are really hungry and tired.  There's a kind of peace that sets in.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #726 on: July 05, 2024, 06:31:37 PM »
Also helps not having to run a pizza oven in July.

I've often thought the best meatball sub is the one you don't have to make yourself.

As to Maille, I got your PM, and yup, Unilever. Faux Frou.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #727 on: July 05, 2024, 09:30:35 PM »
I picked up the pizza to go (a few slices) and took it home.  Heated one, at about 3 in the afternoon, so I was pretty hungry.

Tonight I had Spicy Impossible Sausages and corn on the cob.  It was a reasonable combo.  The Impossible sausages are kind of expensive but they were on sale so I thought I'd try them.  They're clearly not meat, but that's not a problem for me, but the flavor is surprisingly good.  Primarily soy protein.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #728 on: July 05, 2024, 10:26:43 PM »
Made mac and cheese with 1% milk because it's what I had.

Don't do that.

The packet powder didn't bond at all, it just sat there.

I added sour cream in hopes it would make the powder bond.

It didn't, but it tasted good.

So heed my mistakes, don't use 1% milk for mac and cheese. I had a coworker who swore you had to use whole milk, but I literally never thought about this before.

But yeah, don't.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #729 on: July 06, 2024, 12:58:40 AM »
We usually don't have milk in the house, only half and half, so we generally have added that without problems.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #730 on: July 06, 2024, 01:23:08 AM »
honestly, if it hadn't ruined dinner, I would have found it fascinating, seeing the ingredients gloop off like that.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #731 on: July 06, 2024, 01:48:21 PM »
Sounds like you are venturing into the world of food science!

I made a modified recipe for Baba Ganoush based on one from the Guardian.  The most fun is burning the eggplants.  You lay them on the open flame of a gas stove and rotate them with tongs until they are pretty well charred on the outside.  I finish them in the oven and then let them cool, scoop out the insides and proceed from there.  Other ingredients:  lemon juice, tahini, salt, a pinch of cumin, garlic and a little olive oil.  The food processor is a good place to mix all of this together.  This makes a great dip for vegetables or pita, or a nice spread for a sandwich using lavash, pita, or even warmed up flour tortillas with other vegetables or even some falafel, although I've never gotten that ambitious.  The baba freezes well and it's nice cooled in the fridge because it lasts for a week or more and, once made, no need to heat up the house, so a great summer dish.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/sep/25/how-to-make-perfect-baba-ganoush

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #732 on: July 10, 2024, 07:41:31 PM »
We did a pizza, fresh dough instead of our usual trick of loading up a freezy piz.

I found a canned sauce I actually like. A lot of people like Mutti, I'm one of the weirdos who doesn't.
I used Muir Glen on a friend's recommendation. I'm not one for the organic craze, but their pizza sauce is decent. Reminds me of round table. More oregano than most, but they really shredded it down so there's no particulates.

I liked it. And most of the time the pizzas made in this house resemble the Necronomicon in Army of Darkness.

I don't like the flossing after a heavy oregano dish, so this was a pleasant surprise. I finally get what people like about oregano!

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #733 on: July 10, 2024, 10:49:19 PM »
I love good pizza.  But I have never made it at home so I salute your efforts.  Muir Glen is owned by General Mills.  Several large food conglomerates have purchased the alternative healthy brands but the upside of that is that Grocery Outlet will have deals on it and there will be good sales.  I use their canned tomatoes a lot.  I haven't had their pizza sauce.

I grow oregano and will dry it and store it to use in stuff like tuna salad and turkey chili.  It's a really good herb and can really impart a great flavor if not too much is used.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #734 on: July 12, 2024, 11:40:59 AM »
Tea & a lemon yogurt muffin with poppy seeds.  Not a bad breakfast.