Author Topic: Latest Movie You Watched  (Read 421116 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Latest Movie You Watched
« Reply #3285 on: March 12, 2024, 02:18:51 PM »
Cook Off! (2007)

The movie was shelved for a decade and released in 2017. They should have binned it.

A dramatic waste of talent.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3286 on: March 13, 2024, 07:21:54 PM »
They. Cut. The. Battle. Pug.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 07:56:07 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3287 on: March 14, 2024, 07:33:06 AM »
They. Cut. The. Battle. Pug.

;D ;D ;D ;D

I did watch "One Life" with Anthoney Hopkins, Hopkins is Hopkins as always and the film wasnt graphic. Was touching at the end

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #3288 on: March 14, 2024, 03:38:08 PM »
Really enjoying the Netflix live action version of "The Last airbender". One of the shows the kids watched and loved when they were ... kids. Hope they do the same with Korra.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3289 on: March 15, 2024, 06:16:47 PM »
Damsel
Story is OK, Acting OK and the CGI Dragon is great.,
It is what it is, entertainment.  :)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3290 on: April 18, 2024, 07:11:05 AM »
Dune 2.
I read a film review post about above film on a sadbook, and a person stated in the posts that
"it wasn't culturally represented" with the choice of actors.
The replies were funny.
They again defended their post stating that as the author drew his storyline from "the middle east" they should have been more representation from that area and religion (never read the books, so assuming that the religion was Islamic).
I left it there as it went from funnily interesting to not.

Offline christ

• Definitely not staff
  • Divinity
  • Australopithecus
« Reply #3291 on: April 18, 2024, 09:49:08 AM »
Dune 2.
I read a film review post about above film on a sadbook, and a person stated in the posts that
"it wasn't culturally represented" with the choice of actors.
The replies were funny.
They again defended their post stating that as the author drew his storyline from "the middle east" they should have been more representation from that area and religion (never read the books, so assuming that the religion was Islamic).
I left it there as it went from funnily interesting to not.

It's not funny, it's sad. The books were set on a different planet, and the culture is "desert dwelling". Islam is not mentioned in the books, but (presumably) the author wrote from the only desert dwellers with which he was familiar; hence water preservation, (semi-) nomadic life and covered bodies. The religion in the books (and thus the movies) is based on the Bene Gesserit (the "witches") way, and is explicitly stated to have been implanted to ease the way for a supposed future "saviour".

Because it was set in a sandy place, some folk (including, probably, the director and some of the other movie folk) have drawn parallels with Arab culture, but why this should mean that the actors should be "culturally representative" is completely beyond sense. ... although I presume the same should be true of Tatooine.
* with significant exceptions.

This post will self-destruct in <5 days.
(Probably <1, now I think about it)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3292 on: April 18, 2024, 03:41:14 PM »
I once visited a friend in Las Vegas for two weeks during July, the hottest part of the summer.  The average daily temperature outside was 120.  So one might think you'd want to run around in shorts and a slight top, but no.  The sun was intense and the few rain showers that happened consisted of sprinkles that lasted a few minutes and barely wet the top soil.

One afternoon, I decided to take a walk in the nearby desert (she lived on the northern edge of the city near the airport and there weren't really any other houses out there at the time).  I wore long corduroy pants, a long sleeve shirt and a hat and boots.  I wasn't hot at all. 

The clothes were for protection since the dry heat would dehydrate me quickly.  I was advised to turn back the minute I felt tired or thirsty.  The vegetation was mostly scrub brush and the lizards zipped around in the heat, but I don't think wearing less would have been a good idea.  It soon became clear to me why men and women in the middle East would wear clothing that covered them to such an extent.