Author Topic: Who is going to win the World Cup?  (Read 39198 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Who is going to win the World Cup?
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2010, 03:10:04 AM »

My missus' sister has decided to get married on Friday which essentially means I'll miss the tournament's opening game at least (unless there's a TV on at the reception..). 

You see christ, getting married can have far reaching ramifications!

PS.  I am kidding and I am actually quite looking forward to the alternative ceremony.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline Geemonster

• Banned for all eternity
  • Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2010, 06:20:26 AM »
Argentina is would be excellent choice if they have real coach,not old cokenose.

Maradona was an excellent player in his time.

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2010, 04:03:25 PM »
Im thinking of buying an Argentina indigo change colours shirt for this tournament,i've got a 2006 home shirt and a 2006 England home shirt.
I've only got Switzerland shirts, I rarely get to wear them though :'(

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2010, 05:37:07 PM »
Maradona was an excellent player in his time.
Excellent player,but coaching...
i'm waiting for someone to start an antisocial networking site.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2010, 04:47:01 AM »
With an hour or so to go before the opening ceremony, I have to get ready to go to a wedding  >:(

That'll teach me to count the days for four years.

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2010, 05:37:12 AM »
If it's like any of the weddings I've been to, expect a kick off at the reception over something trivial to liven things up.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2010, 07:46:51 AM »
With an hour or so to go before the opening ceremony, I have to get ready to go to a wedding  >:(

I don't care much about opening ceremonies. But the match I'm looking forward to watch.
If it was Argentina you better not plan a wedding at the same time of a match or you can expect desertion.  ;D

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2010, 08:25:53 AM »
I tried to pick the winner last night on which team had the cutest guys.. but, I couldn't decide :-\ So I'm still guessing.

I actually have off work today and might catch some of the match :o

Offline Geemonster

• Banned for all eternity
  • Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2010, 05:54:53 PM »
Excellent player,but coaching...

Most coaches are ex players.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2010, 02:56:55 AM »
If it's like any of the weddings I've been to, expect a kick off at the reception over something trivial to liven things up.

Quite the opposite as it was a Caribbean wedding.  Lots of great food, plenty of drink without anyone attempting to consume it all (with at least one exception), stunning women and Calypso playing on what turned out to be a scorching day.  I have to be honest and say by the end of it, I was more irritated with the World Cup interferring with the wedding rather than the other way round.

Missed both games on the opening day - well I did try and watch the France game on my Sky+ when I got in, but if I wasn't sleepy then, that game certainly knocked me out.  Had to work for a couple of hours yesterday morning that turned into another whole day and I ended up having to watch the England game out as it was the first live game I managed to see - not sure I should have bothered. 

Poor old Greeny, how many people worldwide saw that howler? At least Argentina looked everything they should be and I still stand by my pick for the title.

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2010, 04:26:33 AM »
Poor old Greeny, how many people worldwide saw that howler?

When you do a howler like that, no matter what he does in his career from now on he'll always be referred to as "the hand of clod", the same way "calamity James" has dogged David James.
The problem with England was with Heskey playing (who's never likely to score) then the onus is more on Rooney to get goals, and if he's under par (which he was) then England will struggle for goals with that line up. I'd have started with Crouch who can hold it up to give the midfield a chance to join in the attack like Heskey can, plus he's got goals in him. And I'm not sure what was up with Milner, whether he wasn't fully fit or just isn't at international standard, but he was chasing shadows for the short time he was on.
At least the two Liverpool players who started the game were the two best players.  8) :D

Glad you had a nice time at the wedding btw, all the weddings I've been to were family ones so I've not enjoyed them. I don't go to any family do's these days.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2010, 05:00:17 AM »
Those were my thoughts exactly about Heskey and Crouch.  I can understand fielding Heskey in a game like that just to steady the ship, but the sacrifice would always have been with scoring opportunities.

The best blunder from an England keeper was surely P.R's?  I know on closer inspection the ball bobbled but it was spectacular nevertheless:

It was the missus' family and they rarely fall out.  I feel privileged to be a part of it (one of the family) especially when it's one of the bigger events like a wedding, as they are always memorable for the right reasons.  As you can imagine with a West Indian affair there was huge interest in the World Cup games that were playing so the living room was full of both men and women tuning in.  I abstained to be polite (and the fact that the room was too crammed for me to get in) but it has taken the wind out of my interest to be honest, as I don't feel like the competition has started yet. 

An hour ago I had a call from some friends that are having a picnic on Clapham Common so I can't even put my feet up today and watch the early games.  I am going to attempt to cry off with a bad back and send the missus and kids up - which will be like a double bonus to watching some football!!!

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2010, 10:31:21 AM »
...I abstained to be polite (and the fact that the room was too crammed for me to get in)...

LOL  ;D

...but it has taken the wind out of my interest to be honest, as I don't feel like the competition has started yet. 

Really you didn't miss ANYTHING.  ::)

I woke up late today when the 1st half of the 2nd match was finishing and asked my husband why he didn't wake me up earlier. He said I didn't miss much and he wished he stayed in bed too.  :D

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2010, 10:37:09 AM »

I woke up late today when the 1st half of the 2nd match was finishing

That's odd?  That was exactly the same time I fell asleep ..

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2010, 03:05:52 PM »
Germany have looked the best so far. Good game tonight, and Everton's Tim Cahill managed to get himself sent off.  :)