Author Topic: Who is going to win the World Cup?  (Read 39200 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Who is going to win the World Cup?
« on: June 02, 2010, 02:10:10 PM »

Ok, with a week and a half to go before greatest tournament on earth, what are your predictions as to who'll win it (teams can be seen in my sig).

Of course I'd love England to win but for my money Argentina is the team to beat.  Messi aside, they also have Tevez the former pride of Upton park (always will be in spirit), then there's Aguero, Higuain and Milito to name just a few.  I have no idea why they struggled to qualify as it beggars belief, perhaps it had something to do with their rather controversial manager?

Anyhoo, Argentina is my pick.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
Re: Who is going to win the World Cup?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 02:30:41 PM »
Since no European team has ever won it when it's been held outside Europe then you'd have to favour none European sides. Brazil have won it in every continent it's been held in so far (Europe, S America, N America & Asia) and since this is the first one in Africa you'd have to make them favourites. Having said that, I have a sneaking suspicion the USA will do well this time round and they are my pick.

Offline AlienBC

• Chief Sig Designer
  • Cro-Magnon
  • VIA
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 02:34:55 PM »
Well hope England do ok hang on i don't even know who's playing goodluck anyhow ;)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 04:14:52 PM »

The USA is an interesting choice, personally I think 80/1 is a little mean.

The teams and grouping can be seen in my sig - assuming people have them turned on?

I might even put a tenner on a Argentina vs Spain final (would pay ?250) but I don't want to put the mockers on England. Mind you, it would give them someone to blame.

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 04:26:53 PM »
I wonder what a USA v Italy final would pay out?

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 04:45:58 PM »
I wonder what a USA v Italy final would pay out?

They're not giving odds on the extreme outside chances and you'd have to phone them for a price. The most unlikely finalists they have odds on seem to be Argentina vs Portugal, and you can get at least 80/1 on that (more from Betfair I'd guess), but you have to remember that math is involved in that decison as teams would have to finish the groups in a certain position to be able to meet later on in that way.

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 06:40:01 PM »
They're not giving odds on the extreme outside chances and you'd have to phone them for a price. The most unlikely finalists they have odds on seem to be Argentina vs Portugal, and you can get at least 80/1 on that (more from Betfair I'd guess), but you have to remember that math is involved in that decison as teams would have to finish the groups in a certain position to be able to meet later on in that way.

I went this way.

GROUP A           GROUP B           GROUP C       GROUP D         GROUP E       GROUP F         GROUP G        GROUP H
1. MEXICO         1. ARGENTINA    1. USA          1. GERMANY    1. HOLLAND   1. ITALY         1. PORTUGAL  1. SPAIN
2. FRANCE         2. GREECE         2. ENGLAND   2. AUSTRALIA   2. JAPAN       2. PARAGUAY  2. BRAZIL       2. SWITZERLAND
3. Uruguay        3. Nigeria          3. Slovenia     3. Serbia         3. Denmark    3. Slovakia      3. Iv Coast    3. Chile
4. S Africa        4. S Korea         4. Algeria       4. Ghana         4. Cameroon   4. N Zealand   4. N Korea     4. Honduras

LAST 16
Mexico v GREECE    ARGENTINA v France    USA v Australia   Germany v ENGLAND   HOLLAND v Paraguay    ITALY v Japan
PORTUGAL v Switzerland   BRAZIL v Spain

QUARTER-FINALS
Greece v USA      ARGENTINA v England        Holland v PORTUGAL      ITALY v Brazil

SEMI-FINALS
USA v Portugal      Argentina v ITALY

THIRD PLACE PLAY-OFF
ARGENTINA v Portugal

FINAL
USA v Italy

Interestingly, the winner of the USA/England group has potentially a decent run to the final.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 06:47:06 PM by redlandslide »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 06:43:44 AM »
Looks good Red and the only thing that could scupper your prediction early on, is that Slovenia could well be a dark horse in this competition.  They have stood up well to most teams, Spain and England included, and stuffed the Russians to qualify.  For that reason I think the USA will struggle to get past the group stage.  Might be interesting if they do though, especially if it is at England's expense.

Offline AlienBC

• Chief Sig Designer
  • Cro-Magnon
  • VIA
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 07:03:45 AM »
You know Smokester looking at redlandslide predictions you only think/hope England gets to the  QUARTER-FINALS LOL well that would seem realistic I suppose. Which gives me the perfect opportunity to ask how can a country that invented devised whatever Football be so bad at it?.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 07:23:42 AM »
Yes, when the draw was made it looked as if England had an almost free ride to the finals.  That said, France in the 2002 World Cup (they were the defending champions don't forget), proved that no group can be considered a walkover.

Team      Pld    W    D    L   GF  GA  GD  Pts
 Denmark    3    2    1    0    5    2    +3    7
 Senegal     3    1    2    0    5    4    +1    5
 Uruguay    3    0    2    1    4    5    −1    2
 France      3    0    1    2    0    3    −3    1

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 12:14:12 PM »
...I have a sneaking suspicion the USA will do well this time round and they are my pick.

Really?!  :o

For me it's going to be Germany + Italy + Brazil + Argentina. Who's going to win? My heart is with Argentina. But since Brazil always has more culo than football those guys have a lot of chances.  ::)
If there's a Brazil vs Argentina match at any instances I'm going to need heavy medication to stand that whatever the results.  :D

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 01:07:35 PM »
I'm supporting Switzerland because I always do.  I liked them less the last time because of that Frei spitting everywhere, but I'm hoping he's learned his lesson, and the llama has made him less of a mean old poopy head.  Frei is number 9, I was so angry at him.  In Pro Evolution Soccer, I'm number 9 for the Swiss team.

I don't think they'll make it to the quarter finals though.  I like Japan too, because I did a report on them during the 1998 World Cup for my French class.

I don't really care who wins after the quarter finals, because it won't be a team I like :(.  Unless it's Spain or Germany, they have pretty ladies.

I have no idea how well the African teams play, but I'd probably support Nigeria, because one of my flatmates is from there.  Kind of.

I don't think England will do so well, but I will be watching the matches just to go "ROONEY!  ROONEY!  ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONEY!" :)

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 02:20:24 PM »
I was talking to my neighbour downstairs and he too said that the USA has a good team.  He knows a thing or two as he used to play for the Fulham youth team but got a leg injury that ended his professional career when he was still 19.  I can't quite remember who he thought might win it but he held the Ivory coast in high regard along with Italy.

In the end I don't really care who wins if England doesn't, I'm just happy that I have enough beer to compliment the competition.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 06:12:53 PM »
...he too said that the USA has a good team...
...but he held the Ivory coast in high regard...

In every World Cup these things are said and every time they are proved wrong.  ;)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 09:21:37 AM »
Hey, I don't think the USA will progress as Slovenia has one of the best defence in the tournament and might sneak through, and I am presuming that England will do well in the group stage.

The Ivory coast apparently looked really good in the African Nations cup when all others looked average, and I have heard quite a few pundits tip them as an outside chance so I will tick their games as 'one to watch' on my chart.

England are also about right at 7/1 I think as Capello does know how to win a game - albeit sometimes by hook or by crook.  I suppose that's a bit like Maradona .. :)