Author Topic: Local News  (Read 82412 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Local News
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2020, 11:48:58 PM »
Saturday - more BLM protests  and dropping son off at his UNI house to finally close it down.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2020, 08:45:16 AM »
Is Kanye for real this time? Would he be an improvement?

I'm really confused with Third-party presidential candidates. I mean, I get that someone can run with political affiliation, as an independent, or as "unpledged", but what happens to the Senate and the House of representatives.

I'm actually confusing myself even more talking about it.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2020, 09:09:34 AM »
I'm about fed up with celebrities with no executive experience, and zero understanding of the nuances of governance running our country into the ground.  West is a joke.  I can't take him seriously.  And maybe it's because I find the whole Kardashian universe exemplary of stuff that's seriously wrong with our culture, but I wish he'd just go back to being rich and annoying in other ways.

If his idiocy leaves us with another 4 years of Trump, we've been seriously considering emigrating and that would compel us to leave.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 09:11:17 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2020, 09:58:04 AM »
I'm about fed up with celebrities with no executive experience, and zero understanding of the nuances of governance running our country into the ground.  West is a joke.  I can't take him seriously.  And maybe it's because I find the whole Kardashian universe exemplary of stuff that's seriously wrong with our culture, but I wish he'd just go back to being rich and annoying in other ways.

If his idiocy leaves us with another 4 years of Trump, we've been seriously considering emigrating and that would compel us to leave.

Well you'd be more than welcome this side of the pond. Just make sure you bring an umbrella.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2020, 10:32:49 AM »
Thanks, smokes.  I had to laugh.  Every day my husband comes home from work and sits down in front of the tv to watch Escape to the Country (a BBC production that shows people leaving London or other congested environments to settle in a new life in a gorgeous rural setting).  The real estate is so beautiful, converted cow barns, quaint thatched village centers, old stone houses, and gardens to die for.

He'd move to the UK in a heartbeat.  I would miss my citrus fruit, but think I'd somehow adjust.  At least I could get a more reliable source of tea without ordering it from abroad.  I'm sure you guys have your share of problems with government and social issues, but, the grass is always greener... who knows?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2020, 05:55:04 PM »
I think the worst part about Kanye marrying into that shitshow, attempting politics, and sucking up to Trump is that he made some of the best technical beats I have EVER heard.

But then his brain melted and he found Jesus.

His actual rapping skills I could take or leave, and I really wish he didn't sing. But those beats are untouchable.

Not really local though, he's from Chicago.

To avoid the 24 hour hellscape of the news I've been pulling stand up routines for mom on youtube. She likes Hannibal Burress. I like him too.
He's got a new special out and released it on youtube.

We also watched one of Mitch Hedberg's specials, the one where he's in front of like, a sun? That was a good special, and I could see the tension and anxiety fall off mom's face.

One person got copped for fireworks in my neighborhood, but he's an bottom, at least once a month he'll blast an obnoxious album from his apartment, last week it was BODY COUNT.

He didn't have flashy fireworks, or strings of crackers, he had those lousy ones that shake everything.

That's not really news though.  Our beaches were already closed because of Mexican Sewage, but the Mayor Pro Tem today accused Mexico of INTENTIONALLY flooding the ocean with sewage because they accuse the US of water theft.

That's the war I want. golly Mexico up for constantly pumping sewage into the ocean like a Captain Planet villain.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2020, 08:16:55 PM »
60 minutes did a segment on the sewage outflows from Mexico and its effects on the American inhabitants of the borderlands.  Sewage and toxic waste.  There are two segments and one is behind a paywall.   Here's the one I could find.
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/raw-sewage-southern-california-coast-tijuana-mexico-60-minutes-2020-05-31/

We watch Stewart Lee, sometimes, Wanda Sykes on occasion.  There's plenty of gifted comedians and those are generally better to watch than the actual news.

The only KW piece I found after listening to 5 that fits your description of beats is "Golddigger."  The rest is like "rap artist goes Vegas" and not particularly compelling.  But maybe I'm old school.  I like drum and bass, but this is kind of dull derivative stuff for the most part, with slick video production and a host of distinguished guest vocalists.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 08:22:56 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2020, 08:23:01 PM »
I remember one year our city triggered a contract between the City and Mexico to turn off some valves at a co-funded pump station.

When they arrived the pumps were chained open.

It reminds me of the Westerns my mom watches.

For me that link was paywalled.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2020, 08:26:53 PM »
What's kind of sick about all of this is that there's a piece on 60 minutes right now about how the government refuses to fix the water purity situation in Flint, MI. 

This country was once the envy of the world with its infrastructure.  But infrastructure is expensive and politicians seem to get mileage with the simplistic tax cuts strategy to get and remain elected.  It's quite irritating.  I wish there was a holodeck that we could send those "limited government" guys to that would allow them to see how bad things get when we go full Hobbesian.  No fire departments, no schools, no hospitals, no social safety nets of any kind, and go arm yourself to the teeth because there ain't no police coming to save your ass.  You want to cross a river? Go get a boat.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2020, 08:44:09 PM »
Canada dumped sewage into the ocean until the 1970's.

When I lived up in Encinitas they had a water treatment plant that let out into the ocean. I always found that amusing as that's a HUGE tourist beach.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2020, 09:08:34 PM »
I think most American coastal cities emptied sewage into local waterways until after WW2.  NYC had pipes emptying sewage into the East River (and on the West side, the Hudson), but by the 1950's they had installed a network of pipes to direct the effluent into a series of treatment plants.

Generally, the pipes were pretty long, so the idea was to dilute the effluent so as to minimize its return to shore.  But I don't think swimming in that area would be a great idea.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2020, 11:12:54 PM »
Like I said, biggest tourist beach in the area. People hated my beach because it nearly vanished at high tide, but no sewage.

I imagine the rent in the house I lived in then would now be astronomical, and that it's an AB&B.

Moonlight Beach, Encinitas, CA, 92024.  If you look just north of the beach, right before the house, you can see where they pipe the water out.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 11:26:22 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2020, 08:01:22 AM »
lockdown again  :o

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2020, 07:38:38 AM »
lockdown again  :o

Well ish that is, drove to work and looked like a rave had occurred. How come with girls the worse the weather the less they wear  :o.
And the usual sweatshops slaving away

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2020, 04:26:53 AM »
Some downtown restaurants got creative setting up "balconies" in the bike lane with cement and plastic picket fences from Home Depot.

I can't imagine SDPD are too happy with those visionaries.

I imagine if you rode into one of those by accident you'd be impaled up under your jaw, which would be gruesome.