Author Topic: What are you eating / What did you eat.  (Read 62196 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: What are you eating / What did you eat.
« Reply #375 on: July 06, 2022, 08:13:56 AM »
I think this is a Canadian relation.

Ok.

"He's made a right mess of Ookraine."
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #376 on: July 08, 2022, 06:21:33 PM »
I used taco seasoned meat to make military SOS, and it changed the gravy entirely. Normally it tastes kind of like country gravy, maybe a little Worcestershire sauce.

Nope, turned the gravy dark brown and savory. I can't really explain what flavor it is, but I did enjoy it.

Also every recipe for SOS appears to be different. But most military style versions use ground beef instead of chipped beef. I used my grandpa's version.

Poured it over some biscuits.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/14687/army-sos-creamed-ground-beef/
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 06:23:34 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #377 on: July 08, 2022, 09:02:43 PM »
We had quesadillas tonight with seasoned black beans, grated pepper jack cheese, cilantro, scallions, tomatoes, avocados on heated flour tortillas.  Everyone gets to make their own so the amounts of ingredients can be adjusted to personal preference.  Once everything is prepped, this can last for several meals.  It's pretty cheap and nourishing.  Good for hot summer days as it doesn't heat up the house.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #378 on: July 22, 2022, 05:02:34 PM »
Mom keeps mentioning how much she liked the Vodka fries.

golly you wikipedia, Vodka fries are notable! They should at least be under French Fries as a variant!
They are NOT disco fries or Poutine!

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #379 on: July 25, 2022, 09:17:53 AM »
I tried looking up Vodka fries and all I got was sites that want to discuss how the Arby's fast food chain is selling Vodka flavored like French fries.  Say what?

I assume that what your mother likes is fries with tomato/cream based vodka sauce that would also be served over pasta?  I like to dip fries in A-1 sauce.  I think it's very much like HP Sauce.

I'm having tea, soon will eat scones with some of the jam I've been making lately.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #380 on: July 26, 2022, 11:33:03 AM »
On my bit of the internets Google gives me:

"What do you call french fries, cheese curd, and vodka sauce? Vladimir Poutine"

Ha!  We're not Putin up with that.  Soggy fries just can't cut it.
Back to the regular tea and scones. 

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #381 on: August 04, 2022, 10:29:50 AM »
Mixing things up a bit.  Tea and a banana nut muffin!

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #382 on: August 04, 2022, 11:05:44 PM »
Used the convection oven for a frozen pizza. They've shrunk all of them but red baron, who tend to keep prices down with low quality.

It's passable, but I miss being able to get Wild Mike's.

Our grocery outlet caters to the AB&B set, so beer is pricy, and frozen pizza is cauliflower crust. I tried it once, ghastly stuff. Tastes like a fart smells.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #383 on: August 05, 2022, 12:50:31 PM »
I was deeply suspicious of cauliflower pizza until I had Open Nature Triple cheese at Safeway.  It's really good but kind of pricey.  They were giving it away one weekend as their "Saturday Sampler."  One pie barely feeds 2 adults, but it's good if you can find it cheap.

I'm eating homemade tabouli.  It's pretty good.  Leftover from a potluck.  I used our mint, tomatoes and lemon juice, so it is probably as good as anything I'd make in that dept.  The tomatoes I planted are starting to ripen so I suspect we'll be eating some spaghetti sauce soon.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 12:52:26 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #384 on: September 05, 2022, 11:46:09 PM »
made some very basic tacos, just some pre-cooked shredded beef, shreddy cheddar, and hot sauce.

Drop some avocado oil in the frypan, bring it up to low heat, let the tortilla get some color, drop in the cheese, drop the meat, drizzle the sauce, and fold.

Took about 20 seconds each (I had two) and the taste was delicious.

We'll see if my stomach punishes me for using oil.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #385 on: September 10, 2022, 08:44:35 PM »
Big salad:  mixed greens, avocado, garden tomato (Black Krim), pecans, with a vinaigrette.  I was going to have it with cold chicken but it wasn't necessary.  It's been pretty hot here lately, but now it's back to a more temperate climate.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #386 on: September 11, 2022, 06:40:40 PM »
I got even lazier. Cooked up a batch of ground beef and onion, slapped it in glassware.

Now I just pull a flour tortilla out of the bag, Squeeze some taco sauce on, tablespoon of meat down the middle, pinch of cheese, 18 seconds in the microwave.

I feel like I'm actually eating less this way than when I used to stuff the crap out of a burrito. We'll see what the scale decrees.

Says "Street tacos" on the bag, which clearly marks it as "white people" food. Totally inauthentic.
https://www.missionfoods.com/products/street-tacos-flour-tortillas/

Honestly, I still prefer flour to corn tortillas.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #387 on: September 19, 2022, 09:45:11 AM »

Says "Street tacos" on the bag, which clearly marks it as "white people" food. Totally inauthentic.

Why on earth does it show a measurement of the product which includes the scrunched opening of the bag? What use is that information?
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #388 on: September 19, 2022, 12:07:44 PM »
I got even lazier. Cooked up a batch of ground beef and onion, slapped it in glassware.

Now I just pull a flour tortilla out of the bag, Squeeze some taco sauce on, tablespoon of meat down the middle, pinch of cheese, 18 seconds in the microwave.

I feel like I'm actually eating less this way than when I used to stuff the crap out of a burrito. We'll see what the scale decrees.

Honestly, I still prefer flour to corn tortillas.

Good lord.  I just clicked on that link and it shows a serving suggestion with Nutella (the popular chocolate hazelnut spread) on them.  Gak.  White people food for sure.  My favorite tortillas (La Finca) are made by a local Oakland company and they are relatively hard to find.  There's a couple of FoodMaxx stores that sell them.  Guerreros are ok, but they're made by the same company that produces Mission (white guy) tortillas.  Gruma.  Established by Mexican billionaire, Roberto Gonzalez Barrera (deceased), it's now a multinational corporation.  I can't help thinking about Los Pollos Hermanos (Gustavo Fring, owner) when I click on the Forbes profile re Barrera.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #389 on: September 22, 2022, 01:44:42 AM »
The Lettuce was bad so I made Bruschetta, but not, you know, properly.

I took one of those glass tupperware things and mixed olive oil and balsamic vinegar, bit more balsa than oil. Then I used this stupid sea salt shaker thing that isn't even iodized and just cracked some into the mix. Then I took a tomato and sliced it up into chunks, then rolled that in the mix.

I stuck some hamburger buns in the toaster oven, and it did its job for once, they came out nice, crispy, and not just heated bread.

I drizzled, aka poured the rest of the oil/vine gar mix over the toasted buns and ate the tomato slices separately. The toast was ok, the tomato slices were fantastic.