Author Topic: What are you eating / What did you eat.  (Read 64864 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: What are you eating / What did you eat.
« Reply #450 on: November 17, 2022, 09:18:21 AM »
Raisin toast and tea. 

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #451 on: November 17, 2022, 02:35:52 PM »
I made a prawn curry this evening and chopped in a soupcon of fresh mint to make it interesting. My god did it work out well. Definitely have to do that again!
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #452 on: November 17, 2022, 05:14:16 PM »
I got a McRib and since I used the app the fries and drink were on the house.

Which is good because I am not going to pay $2.69 for French fries.

The McRib was not as terrible as the influencer set would have you believe and may actually have been a bit better than I remembered it.

Supposedly this is the real last time they'll be doing it, and judging by shifting tastes and markets, they might mean it this time.

I know in the state of California at least, animal handling rules regarding pigs have all of the fast-food chains up in arms.

I don't much care for the austerity pivot to chicken sandwiches, I've always found them a bit dull, and absolutely never worth $7.

The McRib totaled out to $5.79 with tax. I'd say the meal was worth $5.79, not sure the sandwich on its own would be.

I liked the sauce, which is interesting as that is what reviewers are poo-pooing this go around. They say it is watered down, but that was not my experience. The veggies were crunchy, if spare. I think the onions could have used a bit more chopping, but that's pedantry.

The bun was a bun. I don't care for cornmeal, but that's a personal gripe.

I guess I'd say I wasn't disappointed if this was my last go-round with the McRib.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #453 on: November 18, 2022, 06:52:57 PM »
I made a prawn curry this evening and chopped in a soupcon of fresh mint to make it interesting. My god did it work out well. Definitely have to do that again!

That sounds delicious.  We are having a fake pork bites stir fry tonight (Gardein's porkless pork bites w/sweet & sour sauce) over rice.

8ully, I often have to rely on Carl's Jr. chicken sandwiches when I drive to Southern California as there's not a lot of options in some areas.  The 5 is like a long boring trip though a food dessert, which is ironic, given its route through one of the major agricultural areas of the U.S.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #454 on: November 19, 2022, 12:19:10 AM »
My Grandpa was a road accountant, and he swore by Carl's. We'd go there for lunch occasionally. I believe those were bad days and the visit cheered him up. Most days we would make food at his house.

When he was in hospice care (He actually managed to get out that time) he had us smuggle him in some Carl's. It was poo. I still haven't forgiven them.

It was even our local location. The hospice center was disturbingly across the street from my high school. I never knew because they didn't have any signage.

In high school I had wondered what that building was, as both the high school and the center were public works projects. There is a plaque at the school, dunno about the hospice.

The story of Carl's Jr is an interesting one, if you ever have a rainy day where you're bored, I highly recommend the read.

Tonight was leftover spaghetti. I hit it with a ton of garlic powder as I don't feel fantastic, and garlic has on occasion scared off an illness.

UPDATE! The next day!

Spaghetti again. Mom made the full tall pot, so there's spaghetti for days.
It had soaked in the previous sauce (good riddance, it had bell pepper in it) So I added a second jar and mixed that in on low.
Jarred again, honestly can't remember the last time I made sauce from scratch.
This time it was Spinach Florentine, which considering the dominant elements (the cheese and the spinach) meant no lousy bell pepper.

I honestly can't put into words what I dislike about bell pepper, I can't accurately say what that taste is. It's not bitter, but like, a cousin of bitter? I don't care for it and can taste it in a second.

I honestly wish this was something I could grow out of.

I also made meatballs, but nothing special there. Only made them because the store ones get nastier and nastier all the time. I forgot the Worcestershire sauce, so they were a bit dry, but it's not like I'm cooking for the king here.

Split a long roll and made toaster oven garlic bread as well. Burnt one edge, but it snapped right off. I honestly think we enjoyed the garlic bread more than the spaghetti.

I'm out of parmesan, but that's more of a me problem than anything else :P
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 09:18:45 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #455 on: November 20, 2022, 02:36:57 PM »
Spaghetti can be wonderful and the leftover sauce can be a nice addition to scrambled eggs or an omelette.

We had Sally's Baking Addiction Blueberry Muffins this morning.  Fabulous.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #456 on: November 30, 2022, 04:36:17 PM »
SHAME TACOS

street taco tortillas (yeah, the ones I made the joke post about)
Sandwich turkey
american cheese slice
sriracha.

I can't recommend this, but three of them satiated the hunger beast.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #457 on: December 01, 2022, 10:44:33 AM »
There is no shame in using whatever is at hand to satisfy hunger.  You do a remarkable job of combining varied ingredients to make meals.  Sometimes it's not the best, but, hey, you gotta eat, right?

I'm having tea, soon to be joined by a cream scone.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #458 on: December 02, 2022, 06:15:56 AM »
Had a lime and coriander with cheese sandwich the other day ( use up food)
Was different 

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #459 on: December 03, 2022, 08:54:01 AM »
I've been so pushed for time recently (working late nearly every night), that I've had pan fried salmon and french fries 3 nights on the trot.

Delicious, though.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #460 on: December 03, 2022, 04:23:12 PM »
Kroger mac and cheese.

I'm essentially quarantined, but the food is good. I think they used egg in the base, which makes for a neat creamy mac. Wish I knew how they did it.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #461 on: December 04, 2022, 05:31:29 AM »
I suppose you couldn't get any chips. Thinks must be tough up north.

Chips are in abundance but I specifically wanted french fries as my air fryer cooks them in around 5 minutes - which is about the same length of time the salmon has in the pan. See, there is a method to my thinks.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #462 on: December 09, 2022, 09:25:17 PM »
I have been eating hungry man dinners dropped at my door. My mom is very kind.

I have never liked hungry man. I had a roommate who loved them, and I think mom is confused.

I'm keeping my mouth shut and saying "thank you".

The mexican fiesta meal is particularly vile. I think it's supposed to be enchiladas.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #463 on: December 10, 2022, 03:57:26 AM »
I have been eating hungry man dinners dropped at my door. My mom is very kind.

I have never liked hungry man. I had a roommate who loved them, and I think mom is confused.

I'm keeping my mouth shut and saying "thank you".

The mexican fiesta meal is particularly vile. I think it's supposed to be enchiladas.

I think I'll pass:

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #464 on: December 10, 2022, 09:21:03 AM »
They should consider "Glutton's Favorite" as a brand name for that stuff.

I'm having tea, soon a zucchini muffin.  I had leftover zucchini and had to do something with it.  It's not as magical as blueberry muffins, but, it's what we have right now.  I need to wake up.  And it's raining.  The ants are, therefore, deciding that my kitchen is the place to be, since it's cold and wet outside.  I am attacking them with Windex, a substance (mostly colored ammonia) that has the dual benefit of killing the little buggers and cleaning the kitchen at the same time.