Author Topic: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?  (Read 333374 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?
« Reply #1845 on: December 13, 2021, 10:30:41 PM »
Rewatching season 5 of annoying characters (Snidely Whiplash type bad guys) in The Expanse in order to get ready to watch season 6 as it comes out.

Wheel of Time isn't too bad, actually.
I do recommend El Cid.  Only 2 seasons are out so far.  They've planned 6 or 7.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1846 on: December 21, 2021, 02:19:47 AM »
Started watching Station Eleven this evening.  The first episode was pretty well done.  About a deadly pandemic and the related post apocalyptic fallout that ensues.  More Christmas cheer.  It is set in Chicago during a snowy winter.  Brrrr.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 02:23:00 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1847 on: December 28, 2021, 02:01:51 AM »
Tokyo Girl on amazon prime.  It's pretty fun.  Young people in Tokyo starting out with new careers, enjoying nightlife and office rivalries.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1848 on: December 28, 2021, 10:03:20 AM »

Posted by: christ
« on: Today at 02:24:18 AM »Insert Quote
Grandson has discovered Fuller House. Gender-swapped Full House with the same people (who have now grown up). Except the Olsen twins who aren't as cute anymore. Same jokes as thirty years ago.

I'm surprised to hear the Olsen twins are still acting.  Aren't they billionaires?  (sorry for the awkward quotation.  I'm not yet awake.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 10:05:27 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1849 on: December 28, 2021, 05:01:14 PM »
The Olsen twins are the only original cast members that didn't come back to reprise their role.

And how old is your grandson?  This sounds like wholesome family viewing if a bit on the lame side.  I never could warm to the original series, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't aimed at my demographic in the first place.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1850 on: December 29, 2021, 11:31:26 PM »
Ten

Wholesome and lame pretty much sums it up.

The original series was aimed pretty squarely at my daughter's demographic, so I guess it isn't a surprise that she & her son found the new show. I am just thankful that they have not (so far) re-discovered "Saved By The Bell".

Ten seems like the last era of childhood before kids start deciding that adults are hopelessly stupid.  Maybe some grandparents get a pass.  Those shows were probably something my little brother watched.  I vaguely remember them being on in the background but I didn't really watch them.  My later teen years seem to have been spent without watching much tv.  I guess I was too busy reading or listening to music.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1851 on: December 31, 2021, 03:16:22 PM »
amazonprime has decided that since I enjoyed Tokyo Girl so much, I'd like Tokyo Alice.  It's less well produced but good for mindless entertainment.  It sure beats the pants off of Girls, a series that I grew to loathe.  Bonus is that you get to see neighborhoods in Tokyo that I never knew existed.  So that's fun.  The mix of architecture alone is worth the price of admission.  Everybody seems to work for an ad agency or a fashion house.  Go figure.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #1852 on: January 01, 2022, 04:11:22 AM »
The wife and I have been watching Angela Black over the last couple of days and just finished episode 4. Some of it is a tough watch as there is domestic violence involved as well as other disturbing events that depict harm to the vulnerable, but it is either a right old "chestnut" of a story or really intriguing.

Might actually watch it out over lunch as there are only 2 episodes left and they're quite short.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1853 on: January 07, 2022, 01:34:51 AM »
Watched Anne ref Hillsborough disaster, nothing else springs to mind

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1854 on: January 07, 2022, 02:22:08 AM »
Balthasar, sexy pathologist who is a polymath investigates crimes for Paris police, assisting a team headed by beautiful but aging blonde detective/captain.  Sexual tension between the two goes on for several seasons.  Will they hook up?  Stay tuned.

The Bureau. French spies vs Algerian and Syrian ones.  A love story in the middle of it.  The French like attractive actors.  This is a common theme.  Middle Eastern geopolitics and Vladimir Putin are backdrops.  Lots of cloak and dagger.  At least there are pretty places and people to look at.  At the very least, it makes the utility of speaking multiple languages obvious.  Collect the whole set!

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #1855 on: January 10, 2022, 06:39:40 AM »
Black Summer is my most favourite zombie show of all time, and by a country mile. I'd just like longer episodes and more of them.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1856 on: January 11, 2022, 12:08:12 AM »
North Water.  Rough men on a whaling trip having a rough time in a rough land with an even rougher climate.  It's grim.  Colin Farrell's character is like the embodiment of Hobbesian nature contrasted with the ship's surgeon, a creature of greater refinement who has fallen from grace as a gifted surgeon who has been reduced to his current position by the connivance of bad actors in his past.  They have a scene where the surgeon debates morality with Farrell's character that is refreshingly brutal and honest.  And it's hard to tell who wins.  I'm half way through.  Lots of unhappy gore against a bleak white arctic landscape as whales, seals and men are slaughtered.  This is not the feel good drama of the year, but it's well done.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1857 on: January 11, 2022, 12:30:49 AM »
Black Summer is my most favourite zombie show of all time, and by a country mile. I'd just like longer episodes and more of them.

Cheers for that, will have a  gander

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #1858 on: January 11, 2022, 02:42:15 PM »
Odd to hear of anything even half decent coming from Asylum. Does it cross over with Sharknado?

It's really good. It's tense from start to finish and doesn't rely on make-up and gore to entertain.

Unlike TWD, people are bastards right from the off. They don't have to warm to it.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #1859 on: January 13, 2022, 05:54:48 AM »
So we finished watching Midnight Mass last night on the recommendation from my sister-in-law. Whilst I've generally like most in the "Haunted" series, I really didn't find much entertainment is this show. Not really sure what happened once it had finished and I'm not convinced the production team did either.