Author Topic: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?  (Read 349772 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?
« Reply #1890 on: August 23, 2022, 03:29:37 AM »
The problem is the Matt Smith Character is vitally important, but Matt Smith was bad stunt casting.

Kind of have to strongly disagree on the Daenerys lite comment though, Daenerys the dreamer, AKA, Daenerys 1.0 saw that everybody in valyria was going to die horribly.
So she convinced the targs to set sail, and the entire saga kicked off.

Daenarys Targaryen, daughter of Aerys II, may has well have been her brother. All that struggle, and then her brain got bent by stupid.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1891 on: August 23, 2022, 07:41:23 AM »
surely it would be a slow burner as per GoT

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1892 on: August 24, 2022, 12:28:13 AM »
The problem is the Matt Smith Character is vitally important, but Matt Smith was bad stunt casting.

Kind of have to strongly disagree on the Daenerys lite comment though, Daenerys the dreamer, AKA, Daenerys 1.0 saw that everybody in valyria was going to die horribly.
So she convinced the targs to set sail, and the entire saga kicked off.

Daenarys Targaryen, daughter of Aerys II, may has well have been her brother. All that struggle, and then her brain got bent by stupid.

I never got why DT daughter of Aerys II went from being a brilliant strategist to a nut job on a dragon burning down everything.  It made no sense in terms of character development.  It's one reason I intensely disliked the end of GoT.  At the end, it also turned into a liberal guilt inclusiveness session.  And the veiled misogyny in the turn of DT is something I remarked on earlier.  Give a woman power?  Of course she'll go nuts.  Why?  Because women can't handle it.  It's like a Harry Enfield skit. 
I can't speak to DT's ancestral forebears, but the daughter RT seems kind of goofy.  By contrast DT seemed to have her head on her shoulders while her brother was a nut job.  And Matt Smith is a crap selection for the character.  He just seems like a nasty privileged frat boy.  I intend to read the text that this was allegedly based on so I can keep track of what's going on.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1893 on: August 24, 2022, 04:13:08 PM »
I'm shocked Rob Zombie didn't get him for Herman, all they would need is the platform shoes and a light dusting of green.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1894 on: August 24, 2022, 06:19:48 PM »
I'm shocked Rob Zombie didn't get him for Herman, all they would need is the platform shoes and a light dusting of green.

I had to look that up.  Who is Herman?

Anyway, I started reading the book and good lord, I need a genealogy chart.  Martin says there's 7 kingdoms, lays them out and then starts talking about sub-regions and fighting between various families.  Gak.  How to keep all these families, regions and kingdoms straight?  This helps a little, but the book (Fire & Blood) really gets into the weeds.

https://www.hbo.com/house-of-the-dragon/character-guide

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1896 on: August 25, 2022, 12:19:45 AM »
Fred Gwynne was a gifted character actor.  He's also really good in My Cousin Vinny.

I was unaware of any Munsters remakes.  The show was kind o lame compared to the Addams Family.  There was some kind of network competition for ratings that most likely resulted in the Munsters.  The guy who played Grandpa Munster had a restaurant in Greenwich Village.  He was of Italian extraction and generally regarded as a really cool guy.  I suspect those actors really enjoyed working on that show.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1897 on: August 25, 2022, 10:25:23 AM »
Oddly when I was a kid The Munsters was on UK TV, but The Addams Family wasn't, so when I came across the Addams I assumed that they were a knock-off of the Munsters.

I seem to recall that we also had "Car 54 Where Are You" and "F Troop", now that I have engaged long term memory. Along with Champion the Wonder Horse, Belle and Sebastian, The Flashing Blade and The White Horses.

Car 54 Where Are You was another comedy about silly cops who got into oddball situations in New York City.  I don't remember it much.  The Munsters and the Addams family were head to head competitors.  We watched both.  The Addams family was more memorable and had a delightful edge to it.  The Munsters was more like a Wonder Bread sitcom.  Both shows had talented casts.

I never heard of the other shows you mentioned, but Champion the Wonder Horse had to be better than Mr. Ed (the talking horse) an abysmal comedy.  There were multiple shows about heroic animals, Lassie being foremost among them.  "Lassie get help!  Timmy's ________________(fill in the blank with current predicament)"

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1898 on: August 25, 2022, 06:22:44 PM »
seem to remember a PI and a gorilla as a side kick (so obviously a man dressed up)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1899 on: August 26, 2022, 12:22:00 AM »
I remember F-troop and flipper oddly being on Nickelodeon when I was a kid.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1900 on: August 26, 2022, 11:40:22 AM »
When I was in college I had a waitress job for a couple of weeks in Chicago at a dinner theatre type place and Forrest Tucker ate there one night.  He was in F Troop and so was regarded as a big celebrity.  He stood up and took a bow and the place erupted in applause.  I left because I got a better paying job elsewhere, but it was an early brush with fame.  Ha!  I remember watching that show when I was a child.  There was another actor, Larry Storch, who was pretty weird.  He was there for comedic relief, I think.  The show was pretty goofy.  And, in retrospect, pretty un PC.  I doubt it would survive in today's environment.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1901 on: October 15, 2022, 10:17:29 PM »
Attempting House of Dragons HBO series. Watched 2 episodes and tbh not feeling it yet.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1902 on: October 16, 2022, 05:10:05 PM »
Attempting House of Dragons HBO series. Watched 2 episodes and tbh not feeling it yet.

I'm current with the show and I'm feeling a sense of disgust and despair as the show unfolds.  I probably would be better off watching Three Stooges reruns.  They had more sophisticated social commentary.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1903 on: October 17, 2022, 01:18:32 AM »
Let me know if you liked Picard 2, I found Picard 1 dismal and dropped it.

It seems like Scifi isn't allowed to have hope anymore, just dreariness and death. Every hero of yesteryear is worked into a dismal failure haunted by the wrongs they have done. (Luke) or the fact that being right didn't matter (Picard).

I like Scifi for the excitement, the journey, and the characters. Hold them down and rip their eyes out, and maybe I don't want to walk with you anymore. (Paramount)

I also dig that Stargate is still the fastest and Star Trek are generally considered to be slowpokes with their stupid bubble drive.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1904 on: October 17, 2022, 01:53:59 AM »
Pretty much anything would be preferable to the train wreck that is House of the Dragon.  I am slimming down my prior record, in that I got through tonight's episode in around 15-20 minutes.  It's just so bad that it's inconceivable that anyone wouldn't just fast forward through the multiple dull bits.