Author Topic: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?  (Read 349739 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?
« Reply #1905 on: October 17, 2022, 01:41:28 PM »
I like Picard being Picard. I don't really care about the story. I quite enjoyed the first season, to be honest, although I can't help but wonder how they are going to keep the franchise going when all the actors that they rely on are too old to play their parts.

I have to say that if I were invited in Star Trek as a shining vision of a hopeful future, then everything post-Gene Roddenbury (starting with DS9, I guess) would not inspire me. It does appear that most recent show runners are more interested in the decay of the future rather than the hope of same. Please note: I haven't seen the majority of Enterprise (boy, was Sam out of his depth in that one. Side note - as a non-US citizen, I really don't want a vision of the future in which the US are the dominant race, and all other nations are subservient - I can accept the concept of a global government, but not of a US government that allows foreigners to play bit parts), Discovery, Below Decks, or any other recent Trek other than Picard.

Are you sure you haven't just left your UT on the Shatner setting?
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1906 on: October 17, 2022, 07:25:01 PM »
I think making the second captain of the Enterprise a Frenchman was an attempt to step away from America, F yeah!
They also tried to go with an international ensemble on Stargate Atlantis, but they kind of splat the landing on that one.

One thing I dislike about modern drama is it's all about interpersonal bitching, which Roddenberry actually prohibited. He insisted that in the future, people would work together towards common goals, and leave petty bickering behind.

Boy, was he wrong!

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1907 on: October 18, 2022, 10:06:46 AM »
I always thought that the first StarTrek series focused on a fleet of ships governed by a global federation, hence the diverse nationalities/origins of the crew:  Scotty, Uhura, Spock, Sulu.  Wow, that's four whole crew members who are not Americans!!!

So, then they got out the modeling clay and got even more diverse with more extraterrestials on the crew, plus a French guy on the Bridge!  And a walking talking synthetic life form.  I liked the show, at least the first series and the few episodes of TNG that I watched.  After that, I kind of lost interest.  The film, The Wrath of Khan, was a kitschy delight.  "Quien es mas macho?  Lloyd Bridges o Ricardo Montalban???"

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #1908 on: October 18, 2022, 12:00:35 PM »
Was Chekov American?

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #1909 on: October 18, 2022, 01:21:49 PM »
In Star Trek, TNG, DS9 and Voyager, they were set in "The Future", and the earthlings were fairly homogeneous earthlings of various flavours: I'm not aware that there was much concentration on their countries of origin (other then the Davy Jones lookalike with the silly accent). On Enterprise, which is set less far in the future, gratingly one of the characters is an American flyboy (Trip? Chip? something like that), and his homeboy persona was deliberately parked front and centre. I'm possibly too xenophobic, but that made the show unwatchable for me.

Oddly enough, I love Enterprise, having re-watched it several times, and Trip is one of my favorite characters. That said, I am know for liking crappy TV/Films.
--dweez

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1910 on: October 18, 2022, 01:34:32 PM »
Was Chekov American?

Whoops.  Forgot him.  Of course there had to be a Russian, given the lingering Cold War context of the show's origins.  So that makes FIVE.  I wonder if there were any of the weekly disposable guys (you know, the ones who always went down to the planet with one of the main characters only to get killed by toxic plants or deranged aliens) who hailed from somewhere other than the U.S.? 

The Enterprise fly boy character sounds like K-Mart version of Tom Cruise, and that fact, alone, is enough for me to run as fast as I can in the other direction.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #1911 on: October 18, 2022, 03:13:48 PM »
Trip was great. Yes, he was a type-cast southern-drawl type but was a fun character. (see previous note about me liking crappy tv/movies)
--dweez

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #1912 on: October 18, 2022, 04:51:31 PM »
 8) I liked Rings of Power.. Chastise meh 
I am now back to watching stranger things over as I ran through peaky blinders and the Witcher in about 3 weeks, again.. I’ve watched peaky about 3 times now.. it is my favorite for sure, and I’m not sure I picked a favorite between Vikings and game of thrones.. and God I love Witcher, but peakys, it’s outbeat everything by winning my captivation.
Side note:
 I’m obsessive over Tom hardy.
  I’d like to eventually watch everything he does. 

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1913 on: October 18, 2022, 06:26:20 PM »

we are rewatching The Wire and The Bureau des Legendes.  Both are really strong shows that easily hold up to a second viewing.  It helps if you forget most of the twists and turns of the plots between viewings.

I loved reading The Hobbit as a teenager and the Lord of the Rings.  They were kind of magical and having them translated into film made them too readily palpable.  I watched the first installment of LoTR and decided not to watch the rest.  This isn't a criticism of the film, but I just prefer to have the books remain in my imagination.  For that reason, I won't watch Rings of Power. 

Game of Thrones was ok, no, actually fun and interesting to watch until the last season.  I'm holding my nose and wading through House of the Dragon.  It's increasingly dreadful.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1914 on: October 19, 2022, 07:42:59 AM »
Gangs of London is about to come back for a second series.

Should it though, sometimes its best to not carry a successful series on

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1915 on: October 23, 2022, 04:21:05 AM »
Watched the last episode of Stanley Tucci searching for Italy.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #1916 on: October 24, 2022, 01:43:36 PM »
He should of just asked Google.
--dweez

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1917 on: October 25, 2022, 08:06:25 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
You must realise, being a celebrity he just asked the underlings  8)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #1918 on: October 27, 2022, 03:28:31 PM »
Still can't get enough of TWD.

I may even rewatch it even though I vow never to do that with any show that doessn't contain the words "Star Trek".

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1919 on: October 28, 2022, 05:41:27 AM »
Still can't get enough of TWD.

I may even rewatch it even though I vow never to do that with any show that doessn't contain the words "Star Trek".

Doent it just repeat the storyline ??
Been going a long time now