Author Topic: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?  (Read 349231 times)

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
Re: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?
« Reply #1815 on: September 21, 2021, 10:51:10 AM »
I really enjoyed Fringe, even after it got past all the originally planned story line. They also had some creative episodes (one was kind of like the ah-Ha video IIRC).
--dweez

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1816 on: September 22, 2021, 03:17:47 AM »
Mom watched more WWDITS because Hulu likes throwing shows at you again, and was taken with the saga of Nadja and Jenelf. I could see her eyes light up when Nadja was floating by the window and waxing rhapsodically about jenelf making a poo on the graves of the other nerds.

Tonight when she got mad about milk, she said "I was trying to taking the milk" and I mocked her soundly.

She doesn't like Lazlo at all, or Gizmo. (Poor gizmo)

She also hates the murder apartment show, whatever the golly that is. Martin short Steve martin I think.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #1817 on: October 06, 2021, 10:49:12 AM »
I've been rewatching the walking dead and enjoying it again.  I havent watched the last season or so, ever.  So, it should prove way entertaining to watch it now.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1818 on: October 06, 2021, 03:09:25 PM »
On amazon prime.
LuLaRich, a documentary series about a husband and wife team (Mormons) who set up a pyramid scheme (multi level marketing they like to call it) that drafted a lot of poor women with children who were struggling to make ends meet.  The women paid for the clothing and sold it at Tupperware type house parties.  Maxi skirts, dresses and leggings in a variety of hideous patterns that were designed to put your eyes out.  "Speak softly and wear a loud shirt" has nothing on these clothes.

The couple built this into a billion dollar business and, like all good pyramid schemes, managed to screw a bunch of vulnerable people out of money they didn't have to spare.  It's in 4 parts.  I fell asleep before I could watch the conclusion.  But it's entertaining. 

Also, The Passenger, a sort of silly French detective show via my library streaming service.  Note, it's not intended to be silly but it's got holes in the plot you could drive a semi truck loaded with knit leggings through.  The main detective is a gorgeous supermodel type with a penchant for cargo pants.  She has a rich father who got involved in some kind of multinational military chemical company that did unsavory things with Pinochet's Chile or some place like that.  And the pigeons are coming home to roost.  Guys who look like Daft Punk on holiday, drive by on motorcycles occasionally and spray everyone with machine gun fire.  Only dispensable characters get offed by this, however.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 03:14:18 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #1819 on: October 07, 2021, 11:25:27 AM »
As TNG is back at uni my daughter had dibs on what we'll watch without him. Her friends had recommended "Outer Banks" to her so we're giving that a go.

While she can't hear me: to be honest I think I'd enjoy it more, or for that matter, enjoy it at all, if I were 15.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1820 on: October 29, 2021, 02:32:34 AM »
The Undertaker. 
Swiss German series on amazon prime until 10/31, in 4 parts.  I've just finished part 2.  Charming.  Disillusioned cop takes over his family's undertaking business.  But does that stop him from solving crimes?  Not on your nelly (whatever that means).

Of course, the regular cops keep telling him to knock off the investigating, since he's no longer a cop.  Does that dissuade him?  Ha!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 02:07:41 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #1821 on: October 29, 2021, 02:50:20 PM »
Started the second season of Locke & Key and I'm truly impressed with that show. They don't skimp on budget and they keep the story off the "I knew that was going to happen" path.

What more could you ask, I ask.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1822 on: November 07, 2021, 05:48:44 PM »
Brokenwood Mysteries. New Zealand version of Midsomer Murders, but all in one town rather than all over the country, so the same non-playing characters turn up every week too. Gentle fun.

It's more fun than MM.  There's a country western music vibe and the main characters are more interesting than bland.  I'm watching the French police mystery, The Art of Crime.  Art Historian and Cop get together to solve art related crimes and it's surprisingly good.  Well researched and with a fine cast.  Special appearances by dead artists, and behind the scenes visits to the Louvre, Musée d'Orsay, etc.  In French with English subtitles.  My public library has a streaming service so I'm watching it that way.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 05:51:13 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #1823 on: November 15, 2021, 09:37:04 AM »
We've been watching Arcane which is a series based on the League of Legends game. Of course it was my daughter's pick/call but it is quite entertaining - visually, at least. Not sure where the story is going but I had the same issue when watching The Witcher as there is never a linear path in games which gets jumbled when they dramatise one.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #1824 on: November 16, 2021, 05:29:32 PM »
I am way excited for the new season of the witcher

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1825 on: November 21, 2021, 07:54:45 PM »
I'm watching, against my better judgment, The Wheel of Time.  It's pretty kitschy. 
Boar faced monsters dressed like heavy metal musicians   check
Mysterious beautiful powerful sorceress   check
Good looking multiethnic young aspirants   check
Noble healing cult of women  check
Evil glow in the dark eyed menacing villains  check
Noble middle aged male characters   check
Villages filled with light hearted people having festivals interrupted by monster invasions?  Check

I'm still intrigued by the question of this one cult of people who wear really perfect white clothes that never seem to get dirty.  How do they manage that? 

And I've already run out of episodes after 3.  They come out once a week.  Remember that?  Just like real tv used to be.  On amazon prime no less.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1826 on: November 22, 2021, 12:41:03 AM »
I'm watching, against my better judgment, The Wheel of Time.  It's pretty kitschy. 
Boar faced monsters dressed like heavy metal musicians   check
Mysterious beautiful powerful sorceress   check
Good looking multiethnic young aspirants   check
Noble healing cult of women  check
Evil glow in the dark eyed menacing villains  check
Noble middle aged male characters   check
Villages filled with light hearted people having festivals interrupted by monster invasions?  Check

I'm still intrigued by the question of this one cult of people who wear really perfect white clothes that never seem to get dirty.  How do they manage that? 

And I've already run out of episodes after 3.  They come out once a week.  Remember that?  Just like real tv used to be.  On amazon prime no less.

Worth a watch or not ?
Read most of the series then gave up

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1827 on: November 22, 2021, 01:07:21 AM »
Eh?  GoT it is not.  But it aspires in that direction.  Somebody threw a good deal of money at the CGI in this series and the landscapes and wardrobes are pretty impressive.  Some stuff just doesn't make sense and there's plenty of logical inconsistencies.

I'm still kind of on the fence about it.  Let me put it this way.  I finished episode 3 and it's no big deal that I need to find something else to watch.  I can certainly wait for 4.  I guess I'm pretty non committal, whereas, I really liked GoT and anticipated the new seasons, etc.  There were characters that I really liked in GoT, but nobody in this one.  They're all mildly annoying, but some are rather good looking, so it's very pretty to watch at times.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1828 on: November 22, 2021, 01:45:15 PM »
Eh? 
I have read most of the books in the series

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1829 on: November 22, 2021, 09:44:18 PM »
I was watching Fringe on amazon prime and they began bombarding me with so many ads that I gave up on it.  I don't watch stuff with ads any more, especially when I'm paying for it.  I enjoyed some of the quirkier characters on that show.  I may pick it up again if I can find it without having to get up and leave the room for 5 minutes at a time to escape the ads.

I am not sure I'm up for such a commitment as to read all of the Wheel of Time series.  I have heard mixed reviews of the books.  On the other hand, I inhaled the George RR Martin books.