Author Topic: What are you eating / What did you eat.  (Read 64879 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: What are you eating / What did you eat.
« Reply #465 on: December 10, 2022, 11:57:21 PM »
They replaced the pudding with a brownie, but the 1470 mg of sodium seems about right.

I would never in a million years buy these things.

Tonight was chili fries.

I was trying to think "what's the opposite of chili"?

Turns out there is no antonym, but I'd say steamed broccoli is about as far from chili as you can get, foodwise. The only similarity is that they are both heated.

My mom swears by borax for ant barriers.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #466 on: December 11, 2022, 01:57:44 PM »
They should consider "Glutton's Favorite" as a brand name for that stuff.

I'm having tea, soon a zucchini muffin.  I had leftover zucchini and had to do something with it.  It's not as magical as blueberry muffins, but, it's what we have right now.  I need to wake up.  And it's raining.  The ants are, therefore, deciding that my kitchen is the place to be, since it's cold and wet outside.  I am attacking them with Windex, a substance (mostly colored ammonia) that has the dual benefit of killing the little buggers and cleaning the kitchen at the same time.

And the best stuff to unclog your printer.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #467 on: December 21, 2022, 12:20:43 PM »
A perfect breakfast.  Earl Grey tea & cream scones with homemade Seville orange marmalade.  That marmalade is magical.  The perfect blend of bitter and sweet.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #468 on: January 06, 2023, 11:34:28 PM »
Suddenly Salad

requires water and olive oil but is insanely easy to make.

This box has been sitting on top of my fridge for a year, but since it's dried pasta it was rated up to August.

I am not a fan of red pepper, but it seems to be in everything now. How It's Made said it's part of the "southwestern flavor profile" but I've never loved it.

Thankfully it was mild.

Added some chicken.

It was inoffensive. Only way I really messed with it is I hit the noodles with some red wine vinegar. That made it better.

I think adding chicken may have been a misstep, it kind of sucked up the flavor from the noodles.

I hope I can get back to more experiments soon.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #469 on: January 07, 2023, 10:48:58 PM »
I made some curried carrot soup with coconut milk.  It was pretty good, but not as good as the first few times I made it.  Sometimes you vary one item and it affects the whole thing. 

Suddenly Salad sounds like hamburger helper for cold pasta salad, right?  I'm not a huge fan of bell peppers, either.  Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained, right?

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #470 on: January 08, 2023, 06:07:02 AM »
I made some curried carrot soup with coconut milk.  It was pretty good, but not as good as the first few times I made it.  Sometimes you vary one item and it affects the whole thing. 

Suddenly Salad sounds like hamburger helper for cold pasta salad, right?  I'm not a huge fan of bell peppers, either.  Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained, right?

D0 you grow your won carrots and if so can you eat the seeds, they do have a peppery smell about them ??

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #471 on: January 08, 2023, 07:29:52 PM »
D0 you grow your won carrots and if so can you eat the seeds, they do have a peppery smell about them ??

I am a procrastinating sort of gardener.  I planted a bunch of carrot seeds in a window box but they're too crowded to do much so I can't really say.  I have been meaning to put them in the ground.  Maybe now that the rains have softened the clay soil, I'll make a stab at it. The beets are doing pretty well.  The rain and the cold have pretty much killed the tomatoes.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #472 on: January 09, 2023, 10:03:23 AM »
Here's a surprise:  tea and a cream scone with marmalade.
I usually come on here as I'm eating breakfast.  Hence the boring predictable list of foods.
Once in a while, just to mix it up, I'll have a muffin.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #473 on: January 10, 2023, 03:34:59 PM »
I bought supposed sandwich steak sight unseen.

It's the same shitty frozen pucks as every other brand. Made for an okay sandwich but wouldn't put their name out there.

I made a chopped cheese for myself, and a spicy chipotle steak sandwich with provolone for mom.

She was mad I didn't toast the roll, but the toaster oven has royally bent the last few I've put through it.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong with the toaster oven, but I finally got the frying pan back out.

Beats suddenly salad. And yes six, it's essentially hamburger helper in salad form.

I had also bought a jar of chopped pepperoncini, but the cut is too rough to put in sandwiches, so I put them on the side, the way you get a pickle spear in a diner. That got rave reviews.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #474 on: January 11, 2023, 09:59:30 AM »
I like those small pickled peppers.  Best to eat them separately, anyway.

Getting ready to heat my cream scone.  Whoopee!

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #475 on: January 11, 2023, 09:55:29 PM »
Made stroganoff, bent up. Sad.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #476 on: January 12, 2023, 12:35:04 AM »
Why sad re stroganoff?  It looks like a tasty cream pasta dish.
What went wrong?

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #477 on: January 12, 2023, 08:05:32 AM »
Having just had a blood test and the doctor, BY PHONE of course due to them not  dont working past 1pm  >:( >:(.
I have been told I have a rather high cholesterol level of about 11 ish and due to  my last blood pressure test was high ( haven't seen doctor for 3 years) can i send them a reading.
I have no idea what I can and shouldn't eat  ???

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #478 on: January 12, 2023, 10:10:28 AM »
Cholesterol is found in animal fats, so heavy dairy (butter, cream, cheese) and meats.
Fish is ok.  But stay away from partially hydrogenated oils.

Nuts are satisfying and have good fats, avocados, beans are also beneficial.
I'd just switch to a diet of vegetarian curries, avoid meats, and start walking a lot.  Or workout most days.  It's worrying to get such a diagnosis, but my take on it is that reducing fat intake and upping the movement are key to reducing the cholesterol levels.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #479 on: January 12, 2023, 03:14:33 PM »
How hard is it over the pond to avoid high fructose corn syrup? It's in damn near every food in America.

I thought the "cake" brouhaha in Ireland over Subway's bread was a tax thing, but it's actually difficult to find breads that aren't sweet.

As to the stroganoff, we have a family recipe that I tend to follow to the letter, but a friend recommended an alternate recipe, said it was "really different"

The sauce never firmed up. If I'd added any more flour, it would have turned to a cement slurry.

Despite not adding salt, it tasted like I'd dropped salt in blindly.

The meat ended up both tough AND mushy, which I don't understand how that happened. I didn't cook it any different than I usually do. It was gross almost to the point of mousse. Needless to say, that recipe can go straight to hell.

Been a while since I've messed up a dinner other than burning it, so this was a serious disappointment.

I swear the recipe looked completely innocent.